Shanghai Summer School (BRICS Program) 2016
The Shanghai Summer School (BRICS Program) 2016 by Fudan University aims to provide students and young researchers from BRICS countries an opportunity to better understand BRICS, China, Shanghai and Fudan University.
Introduction to the Curriculum
The Program provides the participants with around 95 hours of lecture, which consists of three modules: “Global Governance and Cooperation among BRICS”, “China’s Politics and Diplomacy” and “Happy in Shanghai”, and in which “Global Governance and Cooperation among BRICS” and “China’s Politics and Diplomacy” take 4 credits in total.
The curriculum is listed as below:
Global Governance and Cooperation among BRICS
- Restructuring of global governance in BRICS
- Global financial reform and BRICS financial cooperation
- Global climate change and BRICS cooperation
- New round of international economic and trade rule-making and BRICS cooperation
- International cyberspace governance and data sovereignty of BRICS
- BRICS ‘ pursuit of multipolarity
- Global energy cooperation and BRICS countries
- Global agricultural negotiations and BRICS cooperation
- Social transformations in BRICS countries
- China’s diplomatic strategy in BRICS countries
China’s Politics and Diplomacy
- The review and prospect of China’s strategy in economic development
- China’s foreign trade and WTO policies
- China and Asia-Pacific economic cooperation
- New development of China’s relations with Brazil
- New development of China’s relations with Inida
- New development of China’s relations with South Africa.
- New development of China’s relations with Russia
- China’s public diplomacy
Happy in Shanghai
- Shanghai people and Shanghai culture
- Pujiang scenery
- Shanghai’s history and traditional buildings
- Shanghai’s food culture
Time and Place
Duration: July 6, 2016 – August 3, 2016
Place: Handan Campus, Fudan University
Candidates and Tuition
Candidates: Undergraduates, graduates and research fellows.
Enrollment: 50 students in total; 20 of them are scholarship students sponsored by the BRICS Program, and the rest are self-financing students.
Tuition and other fees:
- Details of fees: tuition fee (8000RMB), registration fee (400RMB), insurance (160RMB), accommodation criteria listed in the following table. Self-financing events on the schedule are not included in tuition fee.
- Accommodation: Both scholarship students and self-financing students can choose their accommodation from three types of rooms, but the allocation of rooms depends on the available rooms provided by international students’ accommodation office. The accommodation fee will be charged by the international students’ accommodation office.
Four single bedrooms with a living room (no kitchen and elevator) 55 RMB / day per person Double room with kitchen and elevator 70 RMB / day per person Single room with kitchen and elevator 100 RMB / day per person
- Students sponsored by the Program can waive tuition fee, registration fee, and insurance. For accommodation, Center for BRICS Studies will subsidize 55 RMB per person per day. If he/she chooses the accommodation criteria which is higher than 55 RMB per day, he/she need to pay the extra fee by himself/herself. Travel expenses from his/her home country to China and back, Visa fee, meals and other personal costs should be paid by himself/herself.
- Self-financing students need to pay tuition fee, registration fee, accommodation and insurance;
- The travel around Shanghai is a self-financing event. The travel expenses are to be confirmed.
Scholarship Students (sponsored by the Program):
- Required materials: Curriculum Vitae (CV), Transcript of the program he/she is enrolled in, a junior researcher could send us his/her report of degree given by his/her university, Statement of purpose, a completed application form, and at least one letter of recommendation given by a professor or an associate professor.
- The admissions of scholarship students are based on the materials they hand in and the recommendation of our partner universities.
- The duration period for sending materials and recommending students by partner universities is from March 22 to April 22, 2016.
- The admission name-list for the scholarship students will be published on April 29, 2016 through websites of the Center for BRICS Studies and the BRICS Information Sharing & Exchanging Platform.
- Students recommended by partner universities who are not selected as scholarship students, can contact us to be self-financing students without applying.
- Required materials: Curriculum Vitae (CV), Transcript of the program he/she is enrolled in, a junior researcher could send us his/her report of degree given by his/her university, Statement of purpose, and a completed application form.
- All the application materials should be directly sent to our e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Application period: March 22 to April 22, 2016. (extended to May 15th, 2016)
- The admission name-list for the self-financing students will be published on May 20, 2016 through official websites of the Center for BRICS Studies and BRICS Information Sharing and Exchanging Platform.
Program Coordinators: Ms. HOU
Telephone: +86-21-65642806 Fax: +86-21-55665537
Address: Room 909, West Main Building, Guanghua Towers, Fudan University, No.220, Handan Road, Shanghai, China, 200433
Center for BRICS Studies: www.brics.fudan.edu.cn
BRICS Information Sharing and Exchanging Platform: www.brics-info.org2016-Shanghai-Summer-School-BRICS-Program