Shanghai Summer School (BRICS Program) 2015
The Shanghai Summer School (BRICS Program) 2015 by Fudan University aims to provide students and young researchers from BRICS countries an opportunity to better understand BRICS, China, Shanghai and Fudan University.
Introduction to the Curriculum
The Program provides the participants with around 95 hours of lecture, which consists of three modules: “Global Governance and Cooperation among BRICS”, “China’s Politics and Diplomacy” and “Happy in Shanghai”, and in which “Global Governance and Cooperation among BRICS” and “China’s Politics and Diplomacy” take 4 credits in total.
The curriculum is listed as below:
Global Governance and Cooperation among BRICS
1. Restructuring of global governance in BRICS
2. Global financial reform and BRICS financial cooperation
3. Global climate change and BRICS cooperation
4. New round of international economic and trade rule-making and BRICS cooperation
5. International cyberspace governance and data sovereignty of BRICS
6. BRICS ‘ pursuit of multipolarity
7. Global energy cooperation and BRICS countries
8. Global agricultural negotiations and BRICS cooperation
9. Social transformations in BRICS countries
10. China’s diplomatic strategy in BRICS countries
China’s Politics and Diplomacy
1. The review and prospect of China’s strategy in economic development
2. China’s foreign trade and WTO policies
3. China and Asia-Pacific economic cooperation
4. New development of China’s relations with Brazil
5. New development of China’s relations with Inida
6. New development of China’s relations with South Africa.
7. New development of China’s relations with Russia
8. China’s public diplomacy
Happy in Shanghai
1. Shanghai people and Shanghai culture
2. Pujiang scenery
3. Shanghai’s history and traditional buildings
4. Shanghai’s food culture
Time and Place
Duration: July 15, 2015 – August 13, 2015
Place: Handan Campus, Fudan University
Candidates and Tuition
Candidates: Undergraduates, graduates and research fellows.
Enrollment: 60 students in total; 20 of them are scholarship students sponsored by the BRICS Program, and the rest are self-financing students.
Tuition and other fees:
1. Students sponsored by the Program can waive tuition fee, registration fee, accommodation, and insurance. Each of them will be required to pay the travel expenses around Shanghai (2400 RMB). Meals and other personal costs should be paid by himself or herself.
2. Each of the self-financing students needs to pay tuition fee, registration fee, accommodation and travel expense around Shanghai: tuition fee (9800 RMB), registration fee (400 RMB), accommodation (1650 RMB), travel expenses around Shanghai (2400 RMB). Self-financing events on the schedule are not included in program fees.
3. Each of the Program students will be given 10 RMB stipends for each meal at the University canteens only on the lecturing days. The stipends will be delivered by means of meal vouchers.
Scholarship Students (sponsored by the Program):
1. The admissions of scholarship students are based on tests and performances.
2. Tests include both written examination and interview.
3. The questions for written examinations are set by Center for BRICS Studies, Fudan University and the tests are co-organized by our partner universities and colleges.
4. Students who have passed the written examinations are qualified for interviews. The interviews are also co-organized by our partners.
5. Tests which include both written examination and interview will be organized by our partners from March 15 to April 15, 2015.
6. The admission name-list for the scholarship students will be published on April 18, 2015 through websites of the Center for BRICS Studies and the BRICS Information Sharing & Exchanging Platform.
7. Students who did not pass the tests could become self-financing students under our partners’ recommendations without applying by contacting us.
1. Students who intend to apply as self-financing students do not need to attend the above tests.
2. Each of students is required to provide a transcript for the academic year 2014 and at least one recommendation letter written by a professor or associate professor. All the application materials should be directly sent to our e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
3. Application period: March 15 to April 15, 2015.
4. The admission name-list for the self-financing students will be published on April 18, 2015 through official websites of the Center for BRICS Studies and BRICS Information Sharing and Exchanging Platform.
Program Coordinators: Dr. WANG Lei, Dr. YIN Wenjing
Telephone: +86-21-55665271 Fax: +86-21-55665537
Address: Room 913, West Main Building, Guanghua Towers, Fudan University, No.220, Handan Road, Shanghai, China, 200433
Center for BRICS Studies: www.brics.fudan.edu.cn
BRICS Information Sharing and Exchanging Platform: www.brics-info.org